Interesting facts about Barlborough

ROMAN BARLBOROUGH:

In the north east corner of Barlborough Hall is a small Roman village which bears the name of " ROTHEROW " or MOTHER ROW" . This is between 2 - 3 miles from the nearest  point to the river Rother and probably lay in the line of the Roman Road between Chesterfield and Doncaster.


The Centre holds an interesting display of Roman and Saxon local  metal detecting finds including coins and brooches.

 

 

THE HEATHCOTE FAMILY


1690:

Gilbert Heathcote married Frances Rodes (Daughter of John Rodes of Barlborough Hall)


1694:

They had a son Cornelius

Cornelius Heathcote married Elizabeth Middlebrooke

Cornelius died in 1730

Cornelius and Elizabeth had two sons, Gilbert and John

First born - Gilbert died in 1768

John was born in 1730 and died in 1758 (he is buried at Handsworth, Woodhouse, Sheffield)


Circa 1752

John Heathcote married Millicent Satterthwaite (born 1728)

They had four children:

Mary - born 27th May 1753

Cornelius - born 7th July 1754 - (inherited Barlborough Hall- died unmarried on 6th March 1825)





Elizabeth - born 2nd August 1755

John - born 9th March 1758


In 1750, John Heathcote was an apprentice to Thomas Satterthwaite, a Quaker in Lancaster. John later married his sister Millicent Satterthwaite. This is where he met Dodshon Foster who was the son of a Durham Merchant. Upon his marriage into the Birket family Dodshon had also become a Quaker.


As a partnership for most of the 1750's the pair owned Lancaster Merchant and Slave ships, they were the youngest entrepeneurs in the African trade.






A typical Slave Ship of this era - as yet there are no known pictures of 'The Barlborough'.

'The Barlborough'


The Barlborough was a 40 ton ship and the first to leave Lancaster for Jamaica. it was in the summer of 1753 that she sailed to the Guinea Coast West Africa to collect her cargo of 101 slaves. They were then transported to Barbados and Jamaica where they were sold. In total the Barlborough and the Bold transported 650 slaves. The slaves were packed in very tightly and many died on the journey.


In total five voyages were made between 1753 and 1757.


Details of cargo for the homeward journey to Lancaster show the Barlborough to have brought back:


62 hogsheads and tierces of sugar


5 tons of fustick


40 bags of ginger


40 tons of mahogany


23 bags of cotton


The wood brought back was used mainly by the famous Gillow's furniture manufacturers of Lancaster.


The Barlborough was sold by auction in the Sun Tavern Lancaster in 1758; one month after John Heathcote had died at just 28 years of age, leaving his wife Millicent with four young children. It was when his brother Gilbert (Lord of Barlborough Hall) died in 1768 that John's eldest son Cornelius inherited Barlborough Hall as Gilbert never married or had any children.



'The Bold'


The Bold a larger 70 ton ship left Barbados for Lancaster in 1756.


Details of cargo for the homeward journey to Lancaster show the Bold to have brought back;


64 hogsheads


19 tierces of sugar


11 puncheons of rum


7 tons of logwood


14 bags of cotton



'The Cato'


Heathcote was also in partnership with William Watson with the vessel Cato. The Cato was the largest slaver to sail from Lancaster and in 1758 carried 288 slaves. In the year 1761 after the death of John Heathcote 560 slaves were carried in one voyage to Barbados.

 

 In 1761 John Heathcote's wife Millicent married William Watson, she died in 1766. One of her daughters with William Watson took ill in 1788 and visited Barlborough Hall to recuperate , unfortunately she died there in December of that year.



SCARSDALE MASONS LODGE No 681







Cornelius Heathcote was " MASTER" of this lodge in 1799 and again in 1815.


Cornelius Heathcote Reaston Rodes was a member in 1825.


C H R RODES presented the lodge with a beautiful silk banner  on the 18th September 1826.

John Hatfield Gossip was the last to be initiated in April of 1825, he being related

to William Hatfield Gossip who inherited Barlborough Hall in 1844.


"BARLBRO " THE RACEHORSE 





Cornelius Heathcote Reaston Rodes was a keen horse racing man, as were most of the landowners in England.


One of his horses was named "BARLBRO" which was bred by Figaro out of Tomasina.


At the Manchester meeting in 1830  "BARLBRO"  was beaten into second place  by a horse named OLYMPUS running over 1 mile and a quarter sweepstake.


On October 6th 1830  C H R  Rodes presented a handsome silver cup valued at 50 guinees to add to a sweepstake of 5 sovereigns each for all horses of any age in a1 mile heat.



THE  "QUEEN ADELAIDE " STAGECOACH





C.H.R. Rodes and William Batty became the proprietors of the "Queen Adelaide" stagecoach on 3rd March 1831. The stagecoach ran between Sheffield and Retford a distance of 33 miles.


SOPHIA FELICITE de RODES


Married on the 7th September 1854 at Keddleston:





William Hatfield de Rodes (of Barlborough Hall) married Sophia Felicite Curzon


Sophia died 2nd April 1869 in Mayfair aged 34


Wiliam died 26th March 1883 in Marylebone at (Alpha Place) age 59. Obituary records state that he had no children. (Sophia had one stillborn child)


23rd March 1875 at Alpha Place Marylebone


Sophy Felicite de Rodes was born


Her mother was Julia Sanders


Her father  William Hatfield de Rodes






Sophy Felicite de Rodes


The 1871 census shows that Julia Sanders aged 24 is living at 7 Alpha Place Maryleborne with a butler and a servant. Julia was the daughter of James and Mary Sanders of Redbourne Hartfordshire. Her father was a coal dealer.


1881 Census


Julia Sanders is now living in Middlesex with her daughter Sophy Felicite Sanders aged 6.


1891 Census


Sophy Felicitie de Rodes aged 16 is now living at Barlborough Hall. She is the head of the household, living on her own means with;


A lady in charge


A school governess


A cook / housekeeper


6 maids


1 coachman


1 groom


1 footman


1905


Sophy Felicitie de Rodes married Godfrey Locker Lampson. They lived in Rowfant House, Sussex and used Barlborough Hall as a summer residence. It was after her death in 1935 that the Locker Lampsons sold the Hall and its estate to Thomas Garlick.


A large painting remained in the Hall of a Victorian dressed lady, we believe she could possibly be Julia Sanders the mother of Sophy Felicite.


   


                     Could this be Julia Sanders?          Sir John Leslie of Leslie Castle, Monaghan

1822- 1916


Sir John Leslie was the artist responsible for the "UNKNOWN PORTRAIT". His sister Prudentia Penelope Leslie married Frederick Cavendish George Augustus Bentinck in 1850, the Duke of Portlands family, Welbeck. This would suggest that Sir John Leslie mixed with the local gentry, therefore knowing the De Rodes of Barlborough Hall and number 7 Alpha Place, London.




SOUTHGATE HOUSE - VAN DYKES

 

Home to a branch of the Bowdon family




Southgate House was built by a certain Mr. Staniforth, 'Southgate' was also the name given to his previous home in the Southgate District of Eckington.  A successful Scythe and Sickle manufacturer Circa 1780.


Mr. Staniforth died Circa 1787 and Southgate House was advertised to be lett on the 24th February 1787 in the London Evening Post. In 1835 the Staniforth family were still making Scythes and Sickles at Mosborough and Ridgeway, Sheffield.


'Extract from the London Evening Post 1787'




Southgate House, near Barlborough in the county of Derby, being an exceeding good new built stone messuage. Fit for the residence of a genteel family consisting of a drawing room 25ft x 15ft, dining room 18ft 6 inch x 16ft, breakfast parlour 16ft x 12ft with an exceeding good kitchen and pantry. On the low floor three good vaulted cellars, very good chambers and garrets of the whole; with brewhouse, back kitchen, barn, stables, chaff - house and other necessary conveniences together with a good garden, well walled and planted with choice fruit trees in full bearing and about 43 acres of included arable meadow and pasture land adjoining the house.



Southgate House was the late residence of Mr. Staniforth deceased and is ready fitted up in a pleasent healthy situation and fine sporting country; adjoins the turnpike road from Chesterfield to Worksop and from Mansfield to Rotherham.


BARLBOROUGH HOUSE - FORMERLY KNOWN AS BARLBOROUGH GATES


Before the house was inherited by marriage to the Bowdens it was home to Samuel Barker and his wife Elizabeth (nee Shaw). Samuel was a steward / bailiff to Martha Rodes widow of Frances Rodes of Barlborough Hall. Samuel and Elizabeth like their employees were of the Quaker religion. They were imprisoned for 3 months for refusing to sign on oath. Martha Rodes wrote to the King to instigate their release.



Samuel managed Rodes coal business and in 1686 took the young John Rodes to London to meet William Penn. Samuel had already purchased 1000 acres of land in Pennsylvania from Penn in 1682.



Samuel's mother Tabitha Barker (nee Hunt) is buried in Barlborough Churchyard and has the oldest gravestone dated 1630.

                                                                                   

 

Samuel himself died 26th August 1726 at Barlborough and is buried in the Quaker buriel ground at Cinderhill, Handswoth, Yorkshire.


It was Samuel's Granddaughter Mary, daughter to John who inherited Barlborough House Mary was married to John Bowden of Beightonfield, hence the Bowden connection to the house.



Samuel Barker's Granddaughter Martha Married Thomas Bowlby:


Martha Barker / Bowlby


Thomas Bowlby went out to live and settle in West Jersey in August 1727, he took three of his sons with him, John,George and Richard who was only seven at the time.Leaving his wife Martha behind, she was never to join him again as Thomas died four years later.


Marthas parting gift to George was a gold ring which many years later was bequeathed in Georges will to a Grand daughter named Martha. George died in 1773 aged 62 in New Jersey, four of his sons remained loyal to the British Crown and served in the Morris County Militia.


Richard lived to be almost 100 and died in Nova-Scotia, he had 11 children.


John married, raised five children and built a house and mill on the banks of the Muscentiung River. He died in 1782 at the age of 79 years.


In 1740 their sister Elizabeth accompanied her brother Thomas to New Jersey. Elizabeth married but bore no children. Thomas died 9 days short of his 81st birthday in Philadelphia. One of his descendents Margaretta Large Fitler, better known as 'Happy' married Nelson Aldrich Rockafeller a Governor of New York and ultimately Vice President of the United States. 






Barlborough House








LORD BYRON IN BARLBOROUGH



Lord Byron spent time at Park Hall and Barlborough with his cousin George Byron. George had married Elizabeth Mary Chandos Pole on the 18th March 1816, she was the daughter of Sacheverell Pole Esquire of Radbourne and was born 16th June 1769.



Lord George Gordon Byron - the poet


George and Elizabeth then resided at Park Hall, Spinkhill which is in Barlborough Parish, where Lord George Gordon Byron his cousin the poet visited him on many occasions until his death in 1824.


Cornelius Heathcote Reaston Rodes of Barlborough Hall visited Byron's tomb in Ault Hucknall signing the visitors book on 19th March 1830.



Croquet on the lawn

OCTOBER 2nd 1559

Thomas Foljambe of Brampton is to be buried near his native hall of Wigsley.To his wife he left his lease of  PARK HALL.

 

FAMOUS BARLBOROUGH FOOTBALLERS


Most people will know of John Osborne who was born and bred in Barlborough, living on  Sycamore Lane, and sadly died 7th November 1998 at the age of 57 at Worcester. His youth career was at Bolton Wanderers prior to being the Goalkeeper for Chesterfield, West Bromwich Albion and Shamrock Rovers and was also on loan to Walsall. He was a member of Albions winning team in the 1968 F.A Cup Final.






BARLBOROUGH PRIMARY SCHOOL TEAM 1950-51 SEASON


John Osborne stood to the left of the Headmaster Mr. Rex Atkin.


Osborne was the commercial manager of Worcestershire County Cricket Club from 1986 - 1995 and played a significant part in the counties signing of long time major sponsor M.E.B.






John Osborne taken in 1970


JAMES LAW BULLIONS



James Law Bullions lived on new Road, Barlborough with his parents.




Jimmy sadly passed away June 2014 aged 90 


SAM RAYBOULD


Samuel Frances Raybould was born in 1875 and died in 1949, he played as a striker and was most renowned for his days playing for Liverpool. He was born in Staveley and started playing with Poolsbrook United, then finishing his career at Barlborough United. He lived in a cottage on Westfield Lane, Barlborough prior to the motorways being built.











Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: 1090889